Association of Yale Alumni / Email YAANW
The YAANW serves Yale alumni and friends in Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota and Western Wisconsin.
New in town? Want to join? Email us. No contribution necessary (although we certainly welcome them!). You will be added to the membership list. And you are welcome to participate in all club events and activities.
We have a dedicated volunteer board which makes our many excellent programs happen – but, we rely on your continued contributions to support our work. We get no financial assistance from Yale University. With your financial gifts and volunteer assistance we are able to keep regional alumni connected and:
- Host engaging programs on the economy, politics, the arts, sports, and Yale University.
- Promoting and enhancing the reputation of Yale University in our region.
- Assist area nonprofits and students by sponsoring Yale summer intern fellows, through the AYA Community Service Summer Fellowship Program as well as Bulldogs on the Lakes.
- Interview more than 200 potential Yale College applicants and welcome new matriculants.
- Encourage and acknowledge outstanding high school juniors in our region with Yale Book Awards.
Time for school! YAANW has several significant, ongoing school related projects: interviewing prospective students applying to Yale and volunteering at Webster Elementary. WE NEED YOUR HELP!
As we have done for decades, Yale alums—both undergraduate and graduate—interview high school applicants to Yale. Many of us participate. The ones who don’t voice common concerns: my student didn’t get accepted; I am a graduate student, what do I know. We provide a very important community relations service by our interviews—making Yale real to students, their families and the school counselors. And, our purpose is to evaluate students’ individual passion and motivation, not to sell the specifics of undergraduate life.
** If you will be interviewing high school applicants to Yale, be sure to attend the forum on October 16 at the University Club in St. Paul **
This is our second year of volunteering at Webster. Perhaps we are grooming that future Yale applicant. More importantly, we are giving back to a community that needs our view of the world. Webster is a diverse population; it cannot be gainsaid how important nurturing is in such a community.
Please let me know if you are interested in participating in either—or BOTH—of these wonderful opportunities